How to remove System Center Essentials 2007 remnants from Active Directory
So I had to reinstall System Center Essentials 2007 today. I prepared a clean machine. Since I haven’t tested Windows Server 2008 and System Center Essentials 2007 with SP1 together, I decided go with Windows Server 2003 R2 with SP2. I installed the operating system, joined with the domain and installed the IIS 6. Also installed all the needed updates, service packs and .net frameworks needed by System Center Essentials 2007 SP1. Then came the SQL Server 2005 with Reporting Services. Now I was finally ready for the SCE 2007 SP1 again. But when I started the setup I got this error:
An error Essentials is already installed in this domain.
I started to search around the Internet and found some information what i thought might help me. I used the following steps to clear my domain from SCE 2007:
1. On the Domain Controller run the ADSI Edit (Start -> Run -> Adsiedit.msc. If you don’t have it installed check this post.
2. Right click on the “Domain” tree and select New – Query.
3. In the New Query window, enter the following:
Name: SCESCP Query
Root of Search:
Query String: (&(objectCategory=serviceConnectionPoint)(cn=SCESCP))
4. Click on OK.
5. Expand the Domain node in ADSI Edit and select the “SCESCP Query” node.
6. A “CN=SCESCP” object should be listed in the right-hand pane, with a distinguished name of “CN=SCESCP,CN=,CN=,DC=,DC=com”. This tells us which computer account has the SCESCP.
7. Delete both “CN=SCESCP” and “CN=SDKServiceSCP“, then close ADSI Edit.
Now it was possible to install SCE 2007 with SP1 as there was no obstacles in Active Directory.