Hyper-V Remote Management – Error 0x800704C8
Yesterday I upgraded my MS Windows Server 2003 R2 with Virtual Server 2005 R2 (x64) machine to Windows Server 2008 Server Core /w Hyper-V (x64). Everything went smoothly, the installation, joining with domain and installing MS Firefront Client Security. The problems started when I was trying to create new machines to my Hyper-V server. I did not bother with migrating from old vmc files, so I just created a new machines and added the hard disks later. When I was trying to create my first machine, to my surprise I got an error. It should have been just follow the wizard and press finish thing. but instead I passed all the needed steps, name and location, the amount of memory, network settings, hard disk settings and finally the finish button but instead of getting a nice confirmation that virtual machine was created successfully I got this error:
The server encountered an error while configuring memory on the New Virtual Machine. Wizard Failed in rolling back the created virtual machine. Please delete it manually afterwards.
Failed to add device ‘Microsoft Synthetic Ethernet Port’
The Virtual Machines configuration GUID at ‘C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\Hyper-V’ is no longer accessible: The requested operation cannot be performed on a file with a user-mapped section open. (0x800704C8)
I searched for this error on Google and it looks like this only happens when you have on your Windows Server 2008 Server Server Core /w Hyper-V installed Forefront Client Security. To fix it you need to download a patch. I suggest you to do it manually without using automatic windows update. You can get the patch from here. Just follow these instructions to download it:
1. Go to Microsoft Update Catalog Web site.
2. Type 952265 in the Search box, and then click Search.
3. Click Add to add the hotfix to the basket.
4. Near the search bar at the top, click the view basket link.
5. Click Download.
6. Click Browse, specify the folder to which you want to download the hotfix, and then click OK.
7. Click Continue, and then click I Accept to accept the Microsoft Software License Terms. The hotfix starts to download.
8. Wait until the hotfix is downloaded to the specified location, and then click Close.
9. Find the patch most suitable to your needs (from the catalogue you downloaded it), copy the patch to your Server Core and install it. After that everything should start working like a charm.