Archive for April, 2014
April 30, 2014 Leave a comment
Enabling local shell access in direct console
- On ESXi host press the F2 button and log in with your credentials when prompted.
- In the list go on Troubleshooting Options and press Enter.
- Then choose Enable ESXi Shell and press Enter (On the right you will notice that ESXi Shell is Disabled changes to Enabled).
- To exit the menus and log out press ESC until you return to the main screen.
How to power on (or off) the VM (ESXi 5.x)
You need to know the id (VMID) of the VM you plan to turn on plus start up and shutdown commands
- Command to list the inventory ID of the VM
vim-cmd vmsvc/getallvms | grep VM_NAME
- Check the VM state (Is it powered on?)
vim-cmd vmsvc/power.getstate VMID
- Power on the VM
vim-cmd vmsvc/power.on VMID
- Shutdown and power off the VM
vim-cmd vmsvc/power.shutdown VMID
vim-cmd vmsvc/power.off VMID
Source: VMware KB