Notes on migrating server roles with Windows Server Migration Tool
Here are some notes I made when I was studying form my MCSA 2012 upgrade exam.
To migrate roles from Windows Server 2008 R2 (Win2008R2) to Windows Server 2012 (Win2012) take the following steps:
- Run PowerShell as Administrator and Install WSMT on the Win2012 server with the following command:
- Create deployment folders on Win2012 . Run the following command in Command Prompt as admin
SmigDeploy.exe /package /architecture amd64 /os WS08R2 /path <deployment folder path>
- Copy the deployment folders from Win2012 server to the Win2008R2 server.
- Register WSMT on Win2008R2 server. Run the following command in Command Prompt (as admin) in the copied directory on Win2008R2 server:
- Load WSMT into your PowerShell session.
- Find out What features you can export from the Win2008R2 Server by using the following command. Run it in PowerShell as Administrator.
- Next step would be to use cmdlets such as Export-SmigServerSettings, Import-SmigServerSettings, Send-SmigServerData, and Receive-SmigServerData to migrate data and settings to Win2012 server
MORE INFO available at TechNet